ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR held a free webinar, "2024 NFPA 70E Major Changes," on Nov. 1, 2023 at 2:00 pm Eastern. This webinar is sponsored by GlenGuard.
Retraining in safety-related work practices and applicable changes to NFPA 70E shall be performed at intervals not to exceed 3 years. This time frame is so employees can keep up to date with the triennial revision cycle of this important electrical safety standard.
Jim Phillips, P.E. helps you complete this NFPA 70E requirement by walking you through the major changes to the 2024 Edition of NFPA 70E.
Some of the changes and additions include:
- Relocated Definitions – Deleting the word "leather" from leather protectors
- Update Structure for Searchable Format
- Adding a Scope to many articles Global Changes such as adding “Electric” to Shock
- Normal Operation 7th condition added – Equipment rated for available fault current
- Emergency Response Plan added to Job Safety Planning 120.5 (B)(2)
- Clarification regarding “Block or relive stored non-electrical energy devices”
- 120.6 “Test each phase conductor at each point of work”
- added to ESWC Harmonize Restricted Approach Boundaries with OSHA’s minimum approach distances
- 130.5 (B) Clarification that doors do not provide enough protection from an arc flash (unless arc resistant)
- 130.5(G) Informational Note provides examples of changes that could affect incident energy 130.5(G)
- New text: labels shall be sufficient durability for environment
- Table 130.7(C)(15) (b) DC PPE Category Table significantly revised
- 320.3(A)(1) New thermal threshold added for battery safety
- NEW Informative Annex S – Assessing the Condition of Maintenance
Jim Phillips, P.E., is founder of brainfiller.com and provides training globally. He is Vice-Chair of IEEE 1584 Arc Flash Working Group, International Chair of IEC TC78 Live Working Standards and Technical Committee Member of NFPA 70E.
By registering for this webinar, you agree to share your contact information with the sponsor, GlenGuard.