OSHA Announces 2015 Safety Stand-Down Expanded To Two Weeks


After seeing tremendous success with its inaugural event, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) has expanded its National Fall Prevention Stand-Down to two weeks in 2015. The event, which aims to raise awareness of fall hazards in the construction industry, will take place May 4–15.


Falls remain the leading cause of death for construction workers, despite the fact that every fatality as a result of falling is preventable. With the stand-down, OSHA looks to reach construction workers across the country and preach the importance of fall prevention.


The 2014 stand-down affected more than 1 million construction workers; in 2015, OSHA is looking to triple that number over the course of the two-week event. If the event can reach more than 3 million workers, it will account for nearly four out of every 10 construction workers in the United States.


“With the economy on the rebound and housing starts on the rise, now is the time for all of us to renew our commitment to sending workers home safe every night,” said Secretary of Labor Thomas E. Perez, in an OSHA press release. “Last year’s stand-down showed us what employers and workers sharing that commitment can accomplish. Responsible employers understand that safety is not a luxury—it is a necessity.”


Anyone looking to prevent falling in the workplace can participate in a stand-down, which is an opportunity for employers to discuss safety issues with their employees.


“No child should lose a parent, no wife should lose a husband and no worker should lose their life in a preventable fall,” said John Howard, director, National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.


For tips on how to conduct an effective safety stand-down, visit www.osha.gov/StopFallsStandDown.


Employers who provide feedback after the fact will be able to download a certificate of participation signed by Perez.


About the Author
Matt-Kraus-headshot-2021

Matthew Kraus

Matthew Kraus is director of communications at NECA and previously was senior editor of ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR for five years. He can be reached at mkraus@necanet.org.

Stay Informed Join our Newsletter

Having trouble finding time to sit down with the latest issue of
ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR? Don't worry, we'll come to you.