Stimulus Funding for Efficiency and Renewables Reaches Halfway Point

State renewable energy and efficiency projects received another infusion of cash from the federal government as summer came to a close. In August, the U.S. Department of Energy announced more than $119 million in funding from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) to support projects in seven states and territories. This represents 50 percent of the total funding that will be provided from the stimulus package.

States and territories that are receiving funds include Alabama, American Samoa, the District of Columbia, Illinois, Maryland, North Dakota and Wyoming. Projects that will benefit from the latest disbursement of funds include a new revolving loan fund to help finance the installation of renewable energy systems in Alabama; installation of photovoltaic systems in American Samoa; energy-efficiency projects in government and public buildings in the District of Columbia, Illinois and North Dakota; rebates and grants for low- and moderate-income homeowners to retrofit their homes in Maryland and Wyoming.

The stimulus package appropriated $3.1 billion to the State Energy Program (SEP) to help promote energy efficiency and clean energy deployment as well as to support local economic recovery. The August funding represented 40 percent of the total SEP funding authorized under the Recovery Act, in addition to the initial 10 percent of total funding that was previously made available to support planning activities. The remaining 50 percent of funds will be released once reporting, oversight and accountability milestones are met as required by the ARRA.

About the Author

Rick Laezman

Freelance Writer
Rick Laezman is a Los Angeles-based freelancer writer. He has a passion for renewable power. He may be reached at .

Stay Informed Join our Newsletter

Having trouble finding time to sit down with the latest issue of
ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR? Don't worry, we'll come to you.