In our May 2017 issue, Jim Phillips laid out the significant changes to NFPA 70E for the 2018 edition. Now, he's back with a video walkthrough of the significant changes.
Watch below to learn about the major changes to the 2018 Edition of NFPA 70E. In this video, Jim takes you though many of the major changes to the 2018 Edition, which include the following:
- Many new and revised definitions such as Working Distance
- Arc Flash Boundary revised definition emphasizes 1.2 cal/cm2
- Why the 40 calories per square centimeter threshold was deleted.
- New requirements for incident investigation
- Complete reorganization of Article 120
- A greater emphasis on the risk assessment
- Deletion of PPE standards from the mandatory text
- New addition of conformity assessment for PPE
- New requirements for inspection of newly installed or modified electrical equipment for compliance with applicable installation codes and standards
- New 130.5(H) Exception 2 providing specific conditions where details such as the arc flash boundary, incident energy etc. may not be required on the label.
- Much more!
For over 35 years, Jim has been helping tens of thousands of people around the world understand electrical power system design, analysis and safety. Having taught over 2,500 seminars during his career to people from all seven continents (Yes, Antarctica is included!), he has developed a reputation for being one of the best trainers and public speakers in the electric power industry.
In addition to being an ELECTRICAL CONTRACTOR arc flash and NFPA 70E contributing editor, he is the vice chair of IEEE 1584 – IEEE Guide for Performing Arc Flash Hazard Calculations as well as the international chairman – International Electrotechnical Commission IEC TC78 – Live Working. He also is on the steering committee – IEEE/NFPA Arc Flash Collaborative Research Project, and he is the liaison officer between IEEE 1584 and IEC TC78/WG15 Arc Flash Protection Committees. Jim also is the author of "Complete Guide to Arc Flash Hazard Calculation Studies."
Learn more about Jim at https://brainfiller.com/about-jim-phillips/