The responsibility for the success or failure of any project ultimately lies with the project manager. The project manager depends on their supervisors and workers to do the work correctly, but how do they know it’s done right, if they don’t understand the technology and processes?
Created by: Jim Hayes
1. When choosing a contractor for a project, the project manager should look for _______.
A. Relevant experience
B. Workers certified in appropriate areas
C. Good references
D. All of the above
2. The standard for fiber optics that defines installation “in a neat and workmanlike manner” is _______.
D. No such standard exists
3. An OSHA representative, not the managers and supervisors, must ensure that all personnel are informed of the safety rules for the job.
4. Using a new technique called microtrenching to install cable down a city road, the cable should be buried _______ deep for proper installation.
A. 1–2 inches
B. 2–4 inches
C. 8–12 inches
D. 20–24 inches
5. If the main backbone outside plant cable will be installed by pulling it into underground conduit, the proper cable choice is _______.
A. All-dielectric self-supporting
B. Armored loose tube
C. Loose tube
D. Distribution cable
6. When the field supervisor tells you his crew will be “figure eight-ing” the cable during a long pull, that means _______.
A. They will be pulling with a tension less than eight times the cable weight
B. They will figure-eight the cable at intermediate pulling points to prevent twisting
C. The crew will avoid bending the cable less than 8 inches in radius
D. The crew will pull eight cables at once
7. What should the contractor do before digging a trench for conduit or directional boring at any location, to ensure safety.
A. Call 811 to determine if any underground utilities are in the area
B. Use locating equipment to check for underground utilities
C. Dig pilot holes manually before using the digging equipment
8. In premises cabling installations, fiber optic cable is nonconductive and therefore not covered under the National Electrical Code.
9. Once the cable is installed, field techs should provide test data on _______ to ensure the cable was installed properly.
A. One fiber in the cable
B. One fiber in each tube of the cable
C. All fibers in each cable
D. A random selection of cables
10. After the cable is installed, leftover cable, splice closures and other hardware should be _______.
A. Disposed of in a landfill
B. Disposed of as hazardous waste
D. Stored for future use in restoration