While elevator operations have changed in recent years, how much did interfacing with fire alarm systems change? Test your knowledge and find out.
Created by: Thomas P. Hammerberg
1. In which chapter of NFPA 72-2019 can elevator interface requirements be found?
2. Heat detectors installed in elevator hoistways to actuate the shunt trip breaker must be located within _____ inches of each sprinkler.
3. According to NFPA 72-2019, a waterflow switch shall be permitted to initiate Elevator Phase I Emergency Recall Operation upon activation of a sprinkler installed _____.
A. In the hoistway pit
B. At the top of the hoistway
C. In the elevator machine room
D. In the elevator lobby
4. Fire alarm initiating device(s) required to be installed inside an elevator hoistway shall be required to be accessible for service, testing and maintenance from outside the elevator hoistway.
5. Where sprinklers are located at the bottom of the hoistway, the fire detection device(s) shall be located _____.
A. At the top of the hoistway
B. At the bottom of the hoistway
C. In either location
D. In both locations
6. Monitoring of the operating voltage of the shunt trip breaker will result in a(n) _____ signal to be indicated on the building fire alarm control unit.
7. Which of the following fire alarm devices should be installed in elevator lobbies located in parking garages to initiate elevator recall?
A. Carbon monoxide detectors
B. Heat detectors
C. Smoke detectors
D. Radiant-energy detectors
8. Smoke detectors installed in elevator lobbies in a building must be installed within _____ feet of each elevator door.
9. Where approved by the authority having jurisdiction, the detectors used to initiate Elevator Phase I Emergency Recall Operation shall be permitted to initiate a(n) _____ signal in lieu of a(n) _____ signal.
A. Alarm; supervisory
B. Supervisory; alarm
C. Trouble; alarm
D. Trouble; supervisory
10. Smoke detectors or other automatic fire detectors shall not be installed in unsprinklered elevator hoistways unless they are required by _____.
A. ANSI/ASME A17.1/CSA B44, Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators
B. NFPA 72, National Fire Alarm and Signaling Code
C. NFPA 101, Life Safety Code
D. The International Building Code