According to the hierarchy of controls, PPE is considered the last resort. For it to function properly, it needs to be taken care of, cleaned and replaced when showing signs of overuse.
Created by: Wesley L. Wheeler
1. When the outer layer of coating on an insulated tool exposes the underlying color of the insulation below, the tool is no longer considered an insulated tool.
2. The practice of wrapping insulating tape around a metal screwdriver is acceptable and creates an insulated tool.
3. Proper care of arc-rated and flame-resistant clothing prohibits the use of fabric softeners and _______ to maintain its rating and reliability to offer protection.
A. Detergents containing animal fats
B. Chlorine bleach
C. Dryer sheets
D. All of the above
E. None of the above
4. DEET, an insect repellent, is a highly flammable spray and should never be applied to arc-rated and flame-resistant clothing.
5. A hard hat must be replaced _______.
A. Within 5 years of the stamped date of manufacture
B. When the hard hat becomes nonpliable and brittle due to UV damage
C. After any impact that could have resulted in damage, cracking or penetration
6. When rubber gloves and sleeves for electrical protection show signs of cracking or loss of elasticity, this is generally the result of heat damage or _______.
A. Cold exposure
B. UV exposure
C. Dirt and grease
D. None of the above
7. An ANSI high-velocity, impact-rated eye protection will have a _______ symbol following the marking Z87.
8. According to the “NIOSH Guide to the Selection and Use of Particulate Respirators,” all filters should be replaced when they are damaged, soiled or causing noticeably increased breathing resistance. Additionally, if oil aerosols are present, an “R-series” filter must be changed every _______ hours of use or after loaded with 200 mg of aerosol.
9. According to 29 CFR 1910.134, an employer shall use only the respirator manufacturer’s NIOSH-approved breathing-gas containers that are marked and maintained in accordance with the quality assurance provisions of the NIOSH approval for the SCBA, which is as issued in accordance with the NIOSH respirator certification standard at 42 CFR part 84.
10. A fall harness that has been subject to the stress of a fall, or shows signs of chemical degradation of powdery substance on the nylon webbing or has frayed or torn webbing and stitching can be used until a replacement harness is obtained.