How well do you know the characteristics for application and selection of fire alarm notification appliances? Try this quiz and see how well you know them.
Created by: Thomas P. Hammerberg
1. Doubling the distance from the sound source will decrease its sound pressure level a maximum of _____ dB.
2. Doubling the wattage of a speaker will increase the sound level output by _____ dB.
3. The average sound loss through an open door is _____ dBA.
4. The average sound loss through a closed door is _____ dBA.
5. Adding multiple audible notification appliances to an area will increase the sound pressure level by _____ dB.
6. In a corridor 80 feet long and 10 feet wide, you are allowed to install one 60-candela strobe at the center.
7. If you have a hotel with 100 sleeping rooms, in how many rooms would you be required to install visual notification appliances?
8. If you install one wall-mounted strobe light 5 feet from a sidewall in room that is 20 feet by 20 feet, the minimum candela rating allowed is _____ candela.
9. The minimum intensity of a strobe light installed in a sleeping room within 24 inches of the ceiling is _____ candela.
10. Visual notification appliances are required in exit stairwells.