In my May Code Comments column, I wrote about the NEC and NFPA 70E definitions of a “qualified person.” Test your memory and your knowledge of this NEC term in the quiz below.
Created by: Michael Johnston
1. Qualified persons must possess ______.
C. Safety training
D. All of the above
2. The NEC indicates who performs electrical installations covered within its scope?
3. Equipment and associated wiring and interconnections of solar photovoltaic systems are not required to be installed by qualified persons only.
4. Performance testing of ground-fault protection of equipment must be performed by ______ when the equipment is first installed on the site.
A. The electrical engineer
B. The authority having jurisdiction
C. Qualified persons
D. The manufacturer
5. Medium-voltage cable shall be installed, terminated and tested by qualified persons.
6. The definition of qualified person in NFPA 70E Standard for Electrical Safety in the Workplace differs from the NEC definition of qualified person in relation to which of the following:
A. Having knowledgable skills
B. Demonstrating knowledge and skills and identifying hazards and reducing associated risks
C. Receiving safety training
D. Avoiding hazards
7. Based on NFPA 70E, and as it relates to electrical safety in the workplace, an unqualified person is ______.
A. An engineer
B. A foreman
C. A person that is not a qualified person
D. An electrical apprentice
8. Electrical hazards addressed by NFPA 70E are electric shock, arc flash and arc blast. Qualified persons must by trained to identify these hazards and reduce associated risks.
9. In high-voltage switchgear and industrial controllers where access is required to a compartment that contains energized high-voltage parts, barriers shall be provided to prevent accidental contact by persons, tools or other equipment with energized parts. Exposed live parts shall be permitted only in compartments accessible to ______. Fuses and fuseholders designed to enable future replacement without de-energizing the fuseholder shall be permitted for use by ______ only. (Choose one.)
C. Qualified Persons
10. The NEC does not define the term unqualified person.