I thought we would start the year with some miscellaneous fire alarm questions that you may or may not be aware of, but will be useful to know in the future. Good luck!
Created by: Thomas P. Hammerberg
1. How many types of Supervising Station Alarm Systems are described in NFPA 72?
2. Where dimensions are expressed in inches, it is intended that the precision of the measurement be ______.
A. +/– ½ inch
B. +/– 1 inch
C. +/– 5% of the total dimension
D. +/– 10% of the total dimension
3. The mounting requirements for wall-mounted heat detectors are the same as for wall-mounted smoke detectors.
4. For the purposes of installing spot-type smoke detectors, “nominal 30-foot spacing” should be determined to be 30 feet ______.
B. +/– 2% (7 inches)
C. +/– 5% (18 inches)
D. +/– 10% (36 inches)
5. For corridors 15 feet or less in width with ceiling beams or solid joists perpendicular to the corridor length, the following shall apply:
A. Smooth ceiling spacing shall be permitted
B. Spacing must be reduced by 33% perpendicular to the beams or joists
C. Spacing must be reduced by 50% perpendicular to the beams or joists
D. Spacing must be reduced by 66% perpendicular to the beams or joists
6. An elevator lobby smoke detector shall be located on the ceiling within ______ of the centerline of each elevator door within the elevator bank under control of the detector.
A. 3 feet
B. 5 feet
C. 10 feet
D. 21 feet
7. In facilities without a building fire alarm system, a dedicated function fire alarm system shall be permitted and ______ be required to include other functions or features of a building fire alarm system.
B. Shall not
8. If installing low-frequency audible appliances in hotels for the purpose of alerting sleeping occupants, they must be installed in corridors as well as in sleeping rooms.
9. You are required to test the audibility level and the operability when testing audible notification appliances during yearly periodic tests.
10. Fire alarm systems employing automatic fire detectors or water flow detection devices shall include a manual fire alarm box to ______.
A. Initiate a signal to the supervising station
B. Notify the occupants
C. Notify staff only
D. Initiate a signal to the supervising station and notify staff