This quiz is based on the requirements of NFPA 72, 2019 edition.
Created by: Thomas P. Hammerberg
1. After silencing a trouble signal at the fire alarm control unit, when must the audible signal resound if the trouble has not been restored to normal.
A. Once every hour
B. Every 6 hours
C. Once every 24 hours
D. It is not necessary
2. In calculating the required secondary power for a nonvoice fire alarm system, total alarm current is 2 amps and standby (nonalarm) current is 0.5 amps. Considering a 20% safety factor, what minimum size batteries are required.
A. 3.0 AH
B. 11.9 AH
C. 14.5 AH
D. 22.8 AH
3. Fire alarm equipment must be designed to operate properly within what voltage limitations?
A. 50% of actual secondary power
B. 24V DC +/-10%
C. At 85% and 110 percent of nameplate voltages
D. 20% of nameplate voltages
4. For nonrestorable spot-type fixed-temperature detectors, after what time period from initial installation do all devices have to be either replaced or two detectors per 100
A. 5 years
B. 10 years
C. 12 years
D. 15 years
5. Where would you look in NFPA 72 to find a testing method for a duct smoke detector?
A. Chapter 17, Initiating Devices
B. Table 188.8.131.52
C. Table 184.108.40.206
D. Annex material for initiating devices
6. Regarding smoke-detector-sensitivity testing requirements: if tests indicate after the second required calibration test that the device has remained within its listed and marked sensitivity range (or 4% obscuration light gray smoke, if not marked), the length of time between calibration tests shall be permitted to be extended
A. a maximum of 2 years
B. a maximum of 3 years
C. a maximum of 4 years
D. a maximum of 5 years
7. In spaces served by air-handling systems, which of the following applies?
A. Detectors shall be installed no closer than 10 feet to air diffusers.
B. Spot detectors shall not be installed in anticipated high airflow locations.
C. Detectors shall not be located where airflow prevents detector operation.
D. In-duct smoke detection shall be listed for area protection.
8. Wall-mounted visible notification appliances must be installed within the range of ______.
A. 72–80 in. above finished floor
B. 80–96 in. above finished floor
C. 96–102 in. above finished floor
D. 96 in. to ceiling height
9. Which of the following is considered a method of minimizing nuisance alarms?
A. Automatic reset
B. Automatic polling
C. Alarm verification
D. Stimuli confirm check
10. Which of the following is not an acceptable method for testing for smoke entry?
A. A listed aerosol acceptable to the manufacturer of the smoke detector
B. A listed magnet tool acceptable to the manufacturer
C. Canned smoke acceptable to the manufacturer of the smoke detector
D. Methods listed in the smoke- detector manufacturer’s published instructions