One of the greatest challenges when installing a fire alarm is determining what you have to do when elevators are installed. Test your knowledge of the fire alarm requirements for elevators in NFPA 72 2019 edition.
Created by: Thomas P. Hammerberg
1. Which chapter of NFPA 72 contains the requirements for fire alarm requirements for elevators?
2. The elevator code, ASME A17.1, determines fire alarm requirements for elevator usage. Which edition is referenced in the 2019 NFPA 72?
3. Fire alarm equipment installed in elevator hoistways must be accessible for servicing, testing and maintenance from outside of the hoistway.
4. Smoke detectors installed in elevator lobbies must be installed within _____ feet (ft.) of the centerline of each elevator door in that lobby.
5. Smoke detectors installed in elevator lobbies for elevator recall are allowed to be located either on the ceiling or
on the sidewall.
6. Where sprinklers are located at the bottom of the hoistway (the pit), fire detection device(s) shall be installed in the pit.
7. Where approved by the authority having jurisdiction, the detectors used to initiate Elevator Phase I Emergency
Recall Operation shall _____.
A. Be permitted to initiate a supervisory signal in lieu of an alarm signal
B. Be required to initiate a supervisory signal in lieu of an alarm signal
C. Be permitted to initiate an alarm signal in lieu of a supervisory signal
D. Be required to initiate an alarm signal in lieu of a supervisory signal
8. Heat detectors installed in elevator hoistways and machine rooms to initiate shunt trip operation shall be located within _____ of each sprinkler.
A. 1 ft.
B. 2 ft.
C. 3 ft.
D. 5 ft.
9. Where one or more elevators are specifically designated and marked as fire service access elevators, _____ in elevator lobbies, machine rooms, control rooms, machinery spaces or control spaces shall be continuously monitored and displayed on an approved annunciator.
B. Presence of smoke
C. Temperature and presence of smoke
D. Temperature or presence of smoke
10. All fire alarm initiating devices used to initiate elevator
Phase I Emergency Recall Operation _____ the required building fire alarm system.
A. Shall be connected to
B. Are not required to be connected to
C. Are allowed to be connected to
D. Shall not be connected to