The National Electrical Code has several explicit requirements specifying a qualified person. Any notes after NEC tables have mandatory application to the table they follow, in contrast to informational notes, which are not mandatory as indicated in Section 90.5(C). Test yourself on those and other Code requirements.
Created by: Michael Johnston
1. A qualified person must have skills and knowledge related to construction and operation of equipment installations and have received safety training on the hazards involved.
2. What is the demand factor for five household electric dryers connected to a service?
3. What is the minimum burial depth for PVC conduit containing a circuit operating at 25 kV?
A. 18 inches
B. 24 inches
C. 30 inches
D. 42 inches
4. A listed surge-protective device shall be installed on which of the following?
A. Emergency system panelboards
B. Emergency system switchboards
C. Fire pump controllers
D. All of the above
5. The NEC requires that a qualified person be licensed in the jurisdiction where they work.
6. What is the minimum burial depth for rigid metal conduit for a 120V branch circuit installed across a lawn at a residential occupancy?
A. 6 inches
B. 12 inches
C. 18 inches
D. 24 inches
7. What is the minimum size copper equipment grounding conductor for a 150A feeder circuit?
A. 4 AWG
B. 6 AWG
C. 8 AWG
D. 10 AWG
8. What is the full load current of a 406V, 100-horsepower, three-phase AC motor?
9. Generally, what is the maximum rating (in percentages) for overcurrent devices used as primary-only protection for a transformer that has a current rating greater than 9A. It is recognized that the next-higher overcurrent protective device shall be permitted.
10. What is the minimum width of the required working space for a unit of switchgear that is operating at 4,160V?
A. 24 inches or the width of the equipment
B. 30 inches or the width of the equipment
C. 36 inches or not less than the width of the equipment
D. 48 inches