How well do you know the application, design and installation factors for audible fire alarm notification appliances? These are some details that should be known for a more effective fire alarm.
Created by: Thomas P. Hammerberg
1. Sound pressure levels will decrease up to _____ decibels (dB) every time you double the distance from an audible notification appliance.
2. You will gain _____ dB each time you double the wattage setting for fire alarm speakers.
3. The listed sound level rating for audible fire alarm notification appliances is measured at _____ feet from the appliance.
4. When you install more than one audible notification appliance in the same area, the overall sound pressure level will increase no more than _____ dB.
5. Average sound loss through a closed door is _____ A-weighted decibels (dBA).
6. Audible notification appliance shall not exceed _____ dBA at the minimum hearing distance.
7. Wall-mounted audible notification appliance shall have their tops at no less than _____ inches above the finished floor and no less than 6 inches below the finished ceiling.
8. When testing sound pressure levels for emergency voice alarm communications systems, you test the _____ .
A. Alert tone
B. Voice message
C. Both the alert tone and the voice message
D. Either the alert tone or the voice message
9. The minimum required sound level for a fire alarm notification appliance installed in a sleeping room is _____ dBA.
10. The average ambient sound level for a Business Occupancy is _____ dBA.