In July, with pandemic restrictions easing or lifted, family and friends will get together, have reunions and go to the beach. Safety is key, and knowing emergency response procedures is crucial. Test yourself on tips we all should remember
Created by: Wesley L. Wheeler
1. When going outside with exposed skin, it is important to wear protective sunscreen with a minimum rating of ______ SPF, according to the FDA.
2. Sunscreen is not needed when you are outside on a cloudy day.
3. Which of the following safety devices are required to be present on a boat?
A. Personal flotation devices for every boat occupant
B. Fire extinguisher
C. Audible warning signal device
D. All of the above
4. In addition to using insect repellent that contains DEET, one of the best protections from mosquitoes is wearing long pants and a long-sleeved top.
5. When cooking outside on the grill, hamburgers should be cooked to an internal temperature of ______°F for safe consumption.
6. Food served outside should be refrigerated immediately after serving, and should never be left out longer than ______ hour(s) in 90°F or hotter temperatures.
7. Heat stress, heat exhaustion and heat stroke are three heat-related health conditions that can have an adverse effect on individuals, with heat exhaustion being the most severe.
8. When working outside in the summer, it is recommended to drink at least ______ of water every hour.
A. 8 ounces/one cup
B. 16 ounces/one pint
C. 32 ounces/one quart
D. 128 ounces/one gallon
9. Drinking carbonated sodas and alcohol on hot days can lead to increased stress on your kidneys and result in dehydration.
10. A loss of consciousness, inability to sweat and a throbbing headache are all symptoms of ______.
A. Heat stress
B. Heat exhaustion
C. Heat stroke
D. None of the above