The construction of a fiber optic cable plant is a complicated process that often involves heavy equipment, rights of way and avoiding other utilities. How well do you know the processes involved in fiber optic cable plant construction?
Created by: Jim Hayes
1. The manager or contractor should always ______ before starting a fiber optic construction project.
A. Find design and estimating software
B. Discuss the project with suppliers
C. Familiarize themselves with the route of the construction
D. Figure out whom to delegate responsibility to
2. The best installation technique involves no construction. Underground ducts that are already filled may be usable for new cables using this new technology.
A. Fabric ducts replacing innerducts to free up space
B. Microducts and microcables
C. Removing unused copper cables
D. All of the above
3. Approximately ______ construction incidents per year in the United States and Canada involved damage to underground utilities.
D. Greater than 1 million
4. Before any actual construction activity begins, the contractor must ______ underground utilities.
A. Check the plans to show the location of
B. Call 811 “Call Before You Dig” to locate
C. Look for surface markings indicating
D. Walk the route to locate manholes that indicate the location of
5. Even with data on the location of underground utilities, it may be necessary to use location techniques such as radiodetection or ground-penetrating radar to locate underground utilities.
6. When considering the likelihood of damaging underground utilities, what is the most dangerous construction method for underground fiber optic cables?
A. Digging with a backhoe
B. Directional boring
C. Both are equally dangerous
D. Neither are dangerous
7. Microtrenching refers to an underground construction method that ______.
A. Digs a shallow trench to bury cable near the surface
B. Makes the trench only as wide as required for the cable
C. Directionally bores with small-diameter tools
D. Saws a groove in a roadway or sidewalk to install a cable
8. Installing fiber optic cables in sewers ______.
A. Is an old fiber optic joke
B. Only works in rural areas
C. Uses submarine cables
D. Can be done by robots
9. “Dig Once” means whenever construction for installing one fiber optic cable is done, installing multiple ducts for cables will save the cost of construction when they are needed in the future.
10. What type of aerial cable can be installed over long spans without requiring a metallic messenger cable?
A. ADSS cable
B. Ribbon cable
D. Armored cable