The beginning of the year is always a good time to brush up on your safety knowledge. If you miss an answer, take the time to refresh what you know before the year gets started. Here’s hoping you have an injury-free 2020. Answers are on page 95.
Created by: Wes Wheeler
1. Which of the following is considered a “leading” indicator of the effectiveness of an overall safety program?
A. Number of recordable injuries
B. Number of management/employee observations
C. Number of post-incident investigations
D. Number of first-aid incidents
2. Over-the-counter medication can affect a worker’s ability to stay alert in the workplace or while driving.
3. Hydrogen sulfide is a colorless, flammable and extremely hazardous gas that is heavier than air and accumulates in low-lying areas. One indication that this gas is present in the surrounding area is the strong smell of ______.
C. Rotten eggs
4. The time weighted average for exposure to hydrogen sulfide gas is ______.
A. 1 ppm
B. 2 ppm
C. 5 ppm
D. 10 ppm
5. When using a mobile ladder, it is acceptable to move the stand or platform while it is occupied by a worker.
6. Which of the following is not a recommended practice to prevent take-home lead exposure from the job site.
A. Providing a place to wash hands and take a shower
B. Using an air hose to remove any lead dust from clothing before wearing them home
C. Washing contaminated work clothing and shoes separately
D. Providing a room for changing into clean/street clothing before going home
7. Before beginning any excavation or digging underground, federal and state regulations require that workers “call before you dig” to locate any underground utilities below or in the work area. The phone number for this service is:
8. Each employer’s OSHA 300A, Summary of Injuries, must be signed by a company executive and be posted in a conspicuous place in the work area ______of the year following the data.
A. For one month beginning February 1
B. One month beginning March 1
C. From February 1 to March 31
D. From February 1 to April 30
9. For employers that must submit OSHA Form 300A electronically, it must be submitted at www.osha.gov/injuryreporting/ita by ______ for 2019 data.
A. March 2, 2020
B. May 2, 2020
C. June 2, 2020
D. July 2, 2020
10. When ascending or descending a ladder, always look overhead for any hazards and maintain ______ point(s) of contact on the ladder.