Test your knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC).
Created by: Michael Johnston
1. According to the NEC, which of the following is responsible for approval of electrical equipment and materials used for electrical installations?
A. The owner
B. The electrical contractor
C. The authority having jurisdiction (AHJ)
D. The electrical engineer
2. The AHJ can give special permission, but it shall be in writing.
3. When the AHJ exercises judgment during an inspection, which of the following are considerations for approval of the installation or system?
A. Wire-bending space
B. Electrical insulation
C. Mechanical strength and durability
D. All of the above
4. The AHJ that approves electrical installations can be any entity except which of the following?
A. Qualified electrical testing laboratory
5. What is the minimum width of the working space required directly in front of a panelboard, if it measures 42 inches wide?
A. 36 inches
B. 42 inches
C. 30 inches
D. None of the above
6. Underground irrigation (sprinkler system) PVC is permitted as a wiring method for electrical circuit conductors.
7. Where a 500 kcmil conductors connect to breaker terminal(s) in a panelboard and the conductors do not leave the cabinet through the enclosure wall directly opposite the terminal, what is the minimum wire-bending space required for the conductor(s)?
A. 6 inches
B. 8 inches
C. 10 inches
D. 12 inches
8. Factory 90-degree elbows for use with electrical metallic tubing shall be listed.
9. All metal raceways, cable armor and other metal enclosures for circuit conductors shall be metallically joined together into a continuous electrical conductor and be connected to all boxes, fittings and cabinets so as to provide effective electrical continuity. This requirement applies to all but which of the following:
A. Electrical metallic tubing for branch circuits
B. Short sections of raceways used to provide support or protection for cable assemblies
C. Rigid metal conduit for feeder circuits
D. Schedule 80 PVC conduit for power distribution networks
10. In general, only words or terms used in two or more articles of the NEC are defined in Article 100.