Test your knowledge of the National Electrical Code (NEC).
Created by: Michael Johnston
1. A point-of-utilization surge protective device (SPD) best describes which type of SPD?
A. Type 1
B. Type 2
C. Type 3
D. Type 4
2. Surge arresters are required to be listed by a qualified electrical testing laboratory.
3. The authority having jurisdiction has which of the following responsibilities?
A. Interpreting the Code
B. Deciding on approval of equipment and materials
C. Granting special permission
D. All of the above
4. What is the minimum length required for a driven ground rod at a temporary construction service?
A. 5 feet
B. 8 feet
C. 10 feet
D. 20 feet
5. Meter sockets supplied by and under the exclusive control of an electric utility are not required to be listed.
6. Service disconnecting means are generally limited to not more than six switches or sets of circuit breakers, or combination of not more than six switches and sets of circuit breakers in separate enclosures, in a single enclosure, and must be grouped in one location. By exception, an additional disconnect or circuit breaker is permitted for an SPD.
7. What is the voltage to ground for an ungrounded, three-phase, 3-wire, 480-volt (V) system?
8. A load where the wave shape of the steady-state current does not follow the wave shape of the applied voltage best describes a/n _________ load.
9. A listed SPD shall be installed on which of the following?
A. Emergency system panelboards
B. Emergency system switchboards
C. Fire pump controllers
10. Which of the following wiring methods is permitted in a Class I, Zone 0 location?
A. Nonincendive circuits
B. Intrinsically safe circuits (ia) and encapsulation (ma)
C. Intrinsically safe circuits (ib) and encapsulation (mb)
D. Explosion-proof equipment